Most people believe that relocation is a complicated thing to do. When you think about it, it’s certainly not easy, as it involves moving an entire household from one place to another. This is true even if you are moving just across the street, let alone moving to another city or state. Fortunately, you can always call long distance movers California to help you with the move. But there are also other things that make moving difficult. One of them is that moving represents a huge change, and people usually don’t like changes that much. Next, most people perceive relocation as something that is outrageously complicated just because they don’t know anything about it. This is completely normal, as moving is not something that we do often. There are many misconceptions about hiring professional movers, and our goal is to make this topic a bit more understandable to you.
They are all the same – one of the most common misconceptions about hiring professional movers
When you ask an average person what they think California professional movers do, you will get a quite simplified answer: “They come to your place and load your stuff into the truck”. While movers actually do that, there is a world of difference between professional and experienced movers and amateur movers. You see, there are many moving companies that operate on the market, but not all of them represent a good moving partner. So, what are the traits of a professional moving company?
- Professional movers offer a wide array of different moving services. A broad palette of moving services is a sign that a moving company has the knowledge and experience to deal with all sorts of moving tasks.
- Reliable movers use reliable equipment. A successful moving company takes great care of their tools. In this case these tools are trucks or vans, as well as the best quality moving supplies, like boxes, bins, two-wheel dollies, ramps, and pallet jacks.
You will save money if you hire amateur movers
This misconception is the end product of the first one. “If all movers are the same, why would I pay more when I can hire these guys and save money?” People take this risk because moving can be expensive. The average cost of a household move is around $ 1,250, and the average cost of a long-distance move is around $5,000. The final price will also depend on what other moving services you will include into the deal. So, the number one reason why people decide to hire amateur movers is to save money. Before you do that, check out what could happen:
- There is a possibility that you will pay more than you have originally intended. If the offer sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn’t. You are probably dealing with scammers that offer moving contracts with tons of hidden costs and additional clauses. That is if you ever get the contract.
- Your belongings might get damaged or disappear. If you hire amateur movers you are putting the safety of your shipment at risk. The possible damage could surpass the difference in the price by a considerable margin.
It is cheaper to move yourself – one of the top misconceptions about hiring professional movers
As we have already pointed out, people are often looking for ways to save money when moving. This is why some people will attempt a DIY move. It is true that renting a moving truck or van is cheaper than paying for the full-service move, but you also have to look at the bigger picture. A moving company includes packing materials, gas for the truck, moving insurance and other costs that you would have to purchase separately. Note that these costs can add up pretty quickly. But that’s not everything, so let’s look at the benefits of hiring professional movers:
- You will save a lot of time. Professional movers can pack your belongings and load and unload the truck much faster than you could ever do. You can then use that time for something more important, like continue working.
- Your belongings will be safe. Experienced movers know how to pack and carry all sorts of items in way that ensures they will arrive at their destination in one piece.
- Avoid injuries. Don’t forget that moving is a demanding physical activity that involves a lot of heavy lifting. Moving crews know how to move large appliances without risking injuries.
“I have purchased a full-service move; I don’t have to do anything now” – this is also not true
Hiring full-service movers is the best way free yourself from moving obligations, and concentrate on other tasks. This type of the move is ideal if don’t have enough time to pack on your own, or if you have a deadline and must move in a hurry. Your movers will disassemble and pack your furniture, load and unload the truck, and get rid of the packing materials. However, your movers can’t do everything, there are still some things that you will have to do yourself. Here are some of those:
- Declutter your home. Do you have stuff in your home that is surplus to requirements? Now is the perfect time to get rid of it, and you are the only one who can do it.
- Prepare a moving budget. Before you call your movers, you should determine your moving budget. Don’t forget to include other expenses like travel arrangements, insurance policies, and agent fees.
- Cancel utility services. Don’t forget to cancel the utility services at your old address, and to set everything up at your new home.
As you can see, there are many misconceptions about hiring professional movers. The truth is that you must be familiar with basic moving concepts in order to make the right decisions. We hope that our article gave you a better understanding of how moving works.