Whether it’s just across the town or to the other side of the country, a relocation of any kind takes time, stress, and money. And before you start planning your move, you have a lot to figure out. How are you going to handle packing tasks? Who’s going to actually move your belongings? So how will you determine if you need help for a local move? For some, hiring professional movers might be the right choice. Avoiding the stresses of packing, heavy-lifting, and transporting is worth spending your money on. For others, staying on an economical budget and saving that money through a do-it-yourself move is a better way.
A time schedule is key to helping you determine if you need help for a local move
So, maybe you got a new job that’s moving you to another state, and you only have a month to move. Or maybe you’ve sold your current property and have a bigger time frame in front of you. Whatever the case, time is one of your biggest determinants. Have in mind that the services required for a local move are much fewer than the long-distance move. For a long-distance move, you should definitely hire professional California intrastate movers.
If you have enough time to plan and organize your move, including packing, loading, etc., you may be able to move without hiring much help. However, if you either don’t have the time or, simply, you don’t want to waste the time to move, you should hire professionals.
Think about the different moving options
Nowadays, there are more options than ever before when it comes to hiring professional relocators. That’s why it can be hard to determine if you need help with a local move. In order to make the best decision based on your moving requirements, you have to know what kind of approaches are out there — starting with these four broad approaches:
- Pulling a DIY move. This path is for those who want to save money or are just natural DIY-ers. Choosing to move by yourself can save you a lot of money, but will require more time, effort, and planning. You will be in charge of acquiring moving supplies, getting a moving truck, and enlisting help with heavy lifting.
- Hire self-pack movers. If you don’t mind doing the packing, but don’t want to be responsible for transport and heavy lifting, hiring self-pack movers is the way to go. You will be responsible for buying moving supplies and packing your belongings but can hire boxes movers to take care of the actual moving.
- Pay for professional packers, but move by yourself. If it’s the packing that stresses you out most, hire a professional service to do it. Professional packers are experienced and will handle your belongings with care. They will use the right materials to make sure that your things get to your new home safely. You can look for professional packers online while searching for moving companies in Carmel CA.
- Hire full-service movers. If you don’t have enough time or just want to reduce stress, hiring a moving company to do everything for you is the way to go. Everything from providing the supplies for packing, to the transporting, you can leave it to a professional and reliable moving company.
Determine if you need help for a local move by setting your budget
Alongside time, money is the biggest factor when determining if you need help for a local move. Whatever is your preferred choice, those services will have to be listed in your moving budget. Most moving companies also include optional services like packing, storing, or installation services. Choosing these additional services means an additional fee.
While doing it yourself is often cheaper, there are expenses you have to take into consideration. Before you decide to hire professional help, make a list of your needs and requirements. For instance, you may need to find piano movers Monterey, and that is an extra expense in your budget.
Here are some list items to consider:
- Moving supplies
- Rental moving truck
- Moving equipment – renting or buying (like furniture pads and a dolly)
- Moving truck insurance
- Gas for your moving truck
- Food for your helpers. You have to show gratefulness somehow if they are your family and friends.
Make an inventory of your belongings
There’s a huge difference between moving a four-bedroom house and a studio. Most movers will ask you about the size of your current property since that will help them create an estimate for you.
To help determine if you need help for a local move, you need to organize and take inventory of your belongings. Don’t do a rough estimation of the number of things you own, make a home inventory.
For instance, if you have a lot of items in your possession to move, we suggest saving your back and hiring the local movers. An inventory will help you keep track of your valuable items during the move. It will prevent the possible loss of your belongings. Also, when it comes to the valuables, a good idea is to take photos of them with a time stamp. You can use these photos for insurance in case these items get damaged during the transport. The inventory will also help when it’s time to secure homeowners’ or renter’s insurance.
Your physical capacity
Moving can take a big physical toll. Between bending and heavy lifting, there’s a big chance of hurting your back or pulling a muscle. Lifting something in the wrong way could result in a painful injury. Don’t overestimate your physical abilities when planning on moving. You don’t want to rent a moving truck only to realize you are not able to lift something because it is too heavy or bulky. Professional movers have the right moving tools and experience to keep themselves and the furniture safe.
There’s no right or wrong when you have to determine if you need help for a local move. It all depends on your individual preferences and possibilities. If you have enough time and will that’s required for a DIY move, you should go ahead and save some money. But if you want to avoid stress and your moving budget can cover it, research reliable moving services. Hiring a helping hand could be the key difference between a stressful and a smooth move.