Moving fine art is not an easy task as it requires a lot of attention. If you plan to move fine art from San Francisco to Dallas, start with planning and preparations. So, start by making a list of all fine art items that you have. Some of your art pieces can be large and bulky. Some are very fragile. This means that you will need a different kind of protection for various categories. For ordinary belongings, you will need a regular cardboard box and some wrapping. And such items you can pack yourself. Regarding the fine art that you are moving from San Francisco to Dallas, you will need much better protection. Also, each type of art will require different packing materials. So, it might be a good idea to engage packing experts to pack them.
When you move fine art from San Francisco to Dallas, how to protect them?
Fine arts are costly. So, it is better to invest a bit more in the packing materials. That will increase the overall moving cost. However, the price would be much bigger if your paintings, art sculptures, etc. get damaged during the move.
So, if you decide to make DIY packing, here is a list of specialized packing materials:
- Cardboard corners
- Foam boards
- Bubble wrap
- Glassine paper
- Tissue paper or other filler paper
- Acid-free paper
- Crates or large boxes
- Knife or scissors
And keep in mind to get the proper packing boxes. The cardboard boxes and some packing peanuts are not enough to protect your fine art.
When moving your fine art purchase the extra insurance
People usually have insurance for such valuable collections. As a rule, such insurance does not cover damage caused during the move. So, we suggest that you talk to your moving company. California residential movers are providing ordinary moving insurance. They will explain to you what percentage the ordinary insurance covers. And they will agree that it is good to purchase the extra moving insurance. That way, you will have your special items fully covered in case of an accident. Moreover, the moving insurance of many moving companies is not covering art items. You also have to know that the fine art moving insurance will specifically cover only art pieces. The important is that having the right insurance, you will be more confident during the move from San Francisco to Dallas.
How to pack fine art, mirrors, and framed prints for the move?
When packing your artwork, mirrors, and framed paints, be sure to do it properly. This and the right packing materials will ensure their safe transport:
- Use the original boxes, if you still have them. If you don’t, purchase telescope boxes. They are excellent for packing mirrors, paintings, and other flat-lying items. These boxes are excellent for packing larger art pieces. And make sure to buy the appropriate size boxes.
- Use Glassine instead of the ordinary plastic wrap. Glassine is smooth, and water and grease resistant. So, with Glassine touching the surface of your art, your pieces will be better protected. You can easily find it in paper shops.
- After Glassine, add a second wrapping layer. It is best to use bubble wrap. If your art item is especially sensitive, add two layers of bubble wrap.
- It is also good to add cardboard corners to your framed art and mirrors.
- When moving art pieces from San Francisco to Dallas, the interstate moving companies California recommend storing them upright. That way they will be even better protected in the moving truck. They also suggest positioning your pieces back-to-back and face to face. That way, the hanging pieces at the back of mirrors and frames will not damage the face of the next item. In case your items, besides wrapping, are in strong boxes, you don’t need to worry about such an arrangement.
- Once your art collection is loaded onto the moving truck, make sure it is additionally secured. All pieces should be safely positioned or tied. So, they will not move on curves, or due to a sudden breaking.
Don’t save on costs when you move fine art from San Francisco to Dallas
When you are preparing to move your art collections, the costs are adding up very fast. We are also aware that some of your pieces may need climate-controlled vehicles. Also, the size and weight of the pieces will define the moving costs. As well, if you need to move in a rush, it will for sure increase the costs. But don’t try to save on your art moving. Their damage would be far more expensive. In some cases, the damage would be irreparable. So, always put these facts into perspective when you feel the costs are too high.
Consider hiring professionals for your fine art moving to Dallas
Following our suggestions, you should be able to securely move your valuables to Dallas. However, hiring professionals to pack your items is much safer. If you decide to hire fine art movers, you will soon realize:
- First, they are skilled in valuables packing. They know exactly how to pack various things. And they know what kind of materials they must use for different items.
- Secondly, they know how to properly carry and load those items. And they will load and secure them. So, you can be sure that all your arts will reach Dallas in a good condition. Also, in case you need to store your art, they can provide you with proper facilities.
- Third, having them pack your valuables will give you time to concentrate on packing the rest of your things.
If packing on your own, you will realize that it takes a lot of time. The art pieces are either fragile or bulky and heavy. So, handling and packing them alone would demand a lot of effort. And you will not be sure if you have completed packing properly. So, hiring art movers will also give you peace of mind.
Displaying fine art in your new home in Dallas
If you have followed the instructions, we are sure you have succeeded moved. Your question – how to move fine art from San Francisco to Dallas is answered. Now, what remains, is to add fine art to your new home. We are sure you will enjoy displaying your art items. Especially after finding that all your pieces have reached your new home in good shape.