How to ship a car to another state
Free Moving Quote
When you’re uprooting your life and starting a new chapter in another state, the transitional period can be quite stressful. You need to plan things out well to make sure your relocation is successful and to avoid any issues. If you’re a car owner, then you have one extra task to think about – shipping your car to your new home. Because your car is obviously a very valuable thing, you want to make sure it arrives at the destination intact. So, whether you want to hire Monterey Peninsula movers to do the job or ship your car on your own, we’re here to help. We’ll tell you how you can ship a car to another state and avoid any complications. So, continue reading to learn about safely transporting your vehicle.
Hire car shippers to ship a car to another state
As we’ve said, your car is a prized possession that you don’t want to get damaged on the way to your new home. Well, if you have no experience with shipping a car across the state, that can be quite a handful. The idea of preparing your car for shipping and transporting it to a new state can be very daunting. Luckily, there’s a way to avoid the hassle of doing it alone!
There are plenty of Carmel Valley moving companies that are at your disposal. Their professional car shippers are there to make sure your car arrives at the new state without a scratch. Working with the pros is a full-proof way of reducing your stress levels and making sure your car is in the right hands. If you choose wisely, you’ll be able to rely on the car shippers and you won’t have anything to worry about.
How to find reliable car shippers
Making the right choice when hiring the pros to ship your car to a new state is the key to success. You can’t just choose any car shipping company that you stumble upon. If you want your car to be handled by reliable and experienced professionals, you need to make an informed decision. So, here are some ways of finding a reliable company.
- Do a background check – find out all you can about the company that’s going to ship your car cross-country. Make sure it’s a legitimate company that has your best interest at heart. See if they have the needed licenses and avoid red flags.
- Do you know someone with more experience with shipping a car? If so, you ca ask those friends if they can recommend a company to you. This is a good way to know you’re making a good decision.
- Ask the car shippers for their rates – if the price of their services is abnormally high or low, take it as a bad sign. Compare the rates of a few different car shippers before making your decision.
- Read the reviews – see if the clients are happy with the moving services provided by the company. If not, it’s probably time to find different car shippers.
- Meet the pros in person – this will help you get a better idea of what the car shippers are like and if they’re trustworthy. Also, visiting the premises can be a good way of seeing if there are any red flags.
Shipping a car to another state on your own
In case you don’t feel like hiring the pros to ship a car to another state, you can do it on your own. If that’s what you want to do, here are some steps you should take.
Don’t gas up the car before shipping it to another state
If you’re not driving the car, there’s no need to fill up the tank. Not only is it unnecessary, but shipping a car to another state when the tank is full can be risky because it makes the car heavier. So, just skip this step.
Clean the car thoroughly and inspect if for issues
Before you ship your car across the state, you should take the time to thoroughly clean it. Wash the outside and the inside of your car. You should do this whether you’re hiring long-distance movers of shipping the car alone. Cleaning your car will enable you to easier inspect it for damages.
- If there are any scratches on your vehicle, take note of them. This will be useful when you’re inspecting the car before the shipment. You’ll know if the damages are old or new.
- But don’t just inspect the car for scratches. See if there are any leaks that should be taken care of before you ship the car.
- Also, check the tire pressure, because if the tires are under or over-inflated, they could get damaged on the way to the new state.
It’s best to also empty your car so that none of your things are flying around the car during transport. While you’re at it, we suggest removing any custom accessories you may have in your car.
Disable the alarm and lock the car
Finally, the last step of preparing your car for shipping. Because your car alarm can be triggered by many different things, it’s best to disable it before transportation. After all, there’s no need for it. Once that’s done, your car’s cleaned and inspected and you’ve got your auto insurance, you can lock it up and load it onto the car carrier.
Decide how you’re going to tow the car
And finally, it’s time to decide how you’re going to ship a car to another state. When you’re doing it on your own, you have two options. There are two popular types of trailers people rely on for safe transportation of their vehicles – tow dollies and car carriers. When using a tow dolly, only the front wheels of your car are lifted, and the vehicle is pulled by the rear wheels. On the other hand, a car carrier lifts your entire car. So, choose the option that works best for your car. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to avoid any mistakes.